Trading carrots for chocolate pudding since 2012
I decided it wasn’t fair for YetiVedder to have all the bullet-point fun, so I reckon I’ll join in on the fad.
What will you find in this weekly list? I have no freaking clue, but I’m sure it will all be deep and profound.
* It literally seems like just yesterday, sitting in Mr. Noble’s economics class and learning that the first plane had hit one of the World Trade Center towers. At some point today, wherever you are, stop and take a brief moment to remember all of the victims and the heroes who lost their lives that day. Also take a moment to appreciate the freedoms we are privileged to have in this country thanks to our troops. 9/11/01 – Never forget.
* After spending the past four days in New Orleans, it was quite a shock to return to New England and find temperatures in the low 50s. I always forget that autumn typically arrives with a punch to the face.
* Still unemployed. This is how I feel:
* Baseball is on a hot streak. After last season’s incredible September, this year has been just as great with the success of teams like Washington, Oakland, Pittsburgh and Baltimore, as well as the emergence of once-in-a-generation talents like Mike Trout and Bryce Harper. Needless to say, I’m looking forward to the playoffs – even if my beloved Red Sox aren’t present.
* Speaking of the Red Sox… ahh, fuck it. It’s not even worth my time. Go back to Japan, Bobby Valentine. You are the worst.
* I told my buddies from Cleveland I wouldn’t pick on them last week, but following another terrible stretch by the Indians and without anything to say about my dreadful Red Sox, I can no longer ignore it. Sorry Dave. Sorry Andy. In 2011, the Tribe was in first place in the AL Central as late as July 20. But after going 33-40 during the second half of the season, Cleveland stumbled to a second-place finish and missed the playoffs. This year has been worse. The Indians finished the first half with a 44-41 mark, and were in first as late as June 23. But during a dismal second half that has seen the team win just 15 of 55 games, the Tribe sits in fourth place in the Central standings. Disappointing, because I do like Cleveland’s squad.
* Dudes who enter air guitar contests must get mad air pussy.
* Awkward is sitting in the backseat of a cab while the driver is talking and you literally can’t understand a word he is saying. Solution: nod your head approvingly, smile and say “Right,” “Yeah,” and “I hear ya” a lot.
* As mentioned, I spent the last few days in New Orleans on vacation. Many of you know that I’m a sucker for anything paranormal, so my wife and I decided to try and hit a few hot spots and known haunted locations while we were down there. We spent a lot of time drinking brews at Lafitte’s Blacksmith Shop, the oldest bar in America. Lafitte’s was built in 1722 and is reportedly haunted, so I had to snap a few pictures each night. We went there the first three nights, but after around 45-50 pictures, I had no evidence of anything paranormal. Finally, on our last night there, I was able to catch an orb in one of my photos. Needless to say, I was and am very excited about it. (Tough to see on a computer screen, but look in the upper left corner.)
* Next summer, do yourself a favor and try Abita Strawberry Harvest. It is an absolutely delicious brew.
* So the Jets put up 48 points against Buffalo. I can’t wait to see what a real offense can do against those mighty Bills! (*cough* New England *cough*)
* This animated GIF cracks me up:
* I wish Verizon offered a television package that excluded all “reality” shows – with the exception of athletic events. That’s my idea of heaven.
* In that same vein, Facebook should offer an app that automatically excludes from your news feed all baby photos and statuses about going to the gym/working out. Yes, I know your baby is cute – but that doesn’t mean I need to see it 30 times a day. Once would suffice. And seriously, I don’t give a shit about your work outs. Just stop.
* Much like the New England Patriots, my Icebox Munchers got off to a strong start in the fantasy football season. We’re both 1-0. Go team!
* I was sad to see shows like True Blood and The Newsroom wrap up their season, but I’m extremely excited about new episodes of Dexter, The League, Ghost Adventures and American Horror Story.
* Fifth Period Lunch is thinking about selling t-shirts with awesome designs on them. What do you think about that?!
* I’ll readily admit that this week’s installment has kind of sucked. I promise to try and do better next week!
* Banger of the Week: Save Yourself by Stabbing Westward